Boston Housing Authority
Building Envelopes & Planning Studies
The Boston Housing Authority (BHA) hired Jones Payne to provide comprehensive design and construction services for multiple housing projects scattered across the city of Boston, MA. Jones Payne was responsible for window replacements at 6 developments. The team developed existing conditions surveys and a comprehensive investigative report, which prioritized the work and initial budgets for each development. On a separate project, Jones Payne was part of a team responsible for envelope improvements at 17 additional developments. Work on the envelopes included repointing, sealant replacement, flashing, brick replacement, concrete repair, lintel and shelf angle replacement, and door replacement.
The BHA is the largest public housing authority in New England, housing nearly 10% of all residents of the city of Boston.
- Discovered that 3 of the developments had window frames and sashes in good condition and determined the repairs could be substituted for replacement, which provided a cost-effective solution to full replacement.
- Prioritized the scope of work, taking into consideration apartment units that were off-line due to water infiltration and breadth of the problem and if it would worsen considerably if it were put on hold for the next phase.
- Wrote special provisions into the specifications and phasing of the construction contract to limit travel between multiple work sites and to better utilize the Jones Payne construction administrator and the BHA clerk of the work.
- Coordinated all contractor schedules with residents to minimize impact to homeowners during construction.
- Delivered the following services:
- Prioritization of Work and Phasing Report
- Schematic Design
- Construction Drawings
- Product Research
- Bid Review and Recommendations
- Construction Administration & Construction Inspection